» LATEST FEATURES

LITERATURE

 » Full Dark, No Stars - Stephen King's new novella questions mankind's ability to trust others.
[02.21.2011 by Bridget Doyle]

MUSIC

 » The Top 30 Albums of 2010 - Fashionably, fabulously late, our favorite music (and believe me, there was a LOT) of 2010, the year that some have called the best year for music ever. And only some of those fools work here. Plenty of usual suspects, lots of ties and a few surprises that I won't spoil, including our unexpected #1.
[12.24.2010 by The LAS Staff]

MUSIC

 » Live: Surfer Blood/The Drums at Lincoln Hall, Chicago, IL - Remember when Weezer used to put together records that you could sing along to and rock out to? That's what Surfer Blood's show was like!
[11.04.2010 by Cory Tendering]

Music Reviews

Screaming Females - Castle Talk
»Screaming Females
Castle Talk
Don Giovanni
Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross - The Social Network [Original Soundtrack]
»Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross
The Social Network [Original Soundtrack]
The Null Corporation
Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest
»Deerhunter
Halcyon Digest
4AD
No Age - Everything in Between
»No Age
Everything in Between
Sub Pop
Robyn - Body Talk Pt. 1/ Body Talk Pt. 2
»Robyn
Body Talk Pt. 1/ Body Talk Pt. 2
Konichiwa
The Walkmen - Lisbon
»The Walkmen
Lisbon
Fat Possum
Scattergun Reflex
Laughing At a Dead Man
Laser Trax

Rating: NR/10 ?


October 1, 2004
The boys in Scattergun Reflex will have approximately 59% of their problems solved when I finally get the "Non Retarded Band Names Giveaway" section of Lost At Sea up and running later this year. The other 41% of their problems may take a bit longer to solve but, when they do, they could be a very tight outfit. This is busy, busy, busy stuff. Too busy if you're not a beaver. Crazed tunes bouncing around like the backdrop to a Batman chase scene that sound really daunting to play but in actuality really aren't. Instrumental rock that tries desperately to reach some plain of higher meaning but ultimately doesn't make it up the basement steps. If this band would find a solid structure and stick with it instead of trying to ham everything up with Cre style rolls and Dave Matthews gone punk 1st string fret fucking then they might win over a few more fans.

For example, take "Snackrifice Island." It begins easy enough with a bit of dueling strings but quickly stutters through a very irritating section of breaks, then picks up the groove again only to repeat the same scenario. Later in the song I've nearly forgotten about it until we hit the 3:53 mark and the solid little line they had been twirling around is suddenly chopped off with some herky-jerky start/stop pounding and twanging.

The fact is that, even when done properly, this kind of music is very difficult to pay attention to. Pop music is popular for a reason, because it is easy to grasp. Even though the noodling on this record isn't crazy like Bela Fleck it is still hard to follow. If you are going to play the spazz-metal-math game you are going to have to play it right, at which point I would reference you to someone like American Heritage. I understand not wanting to write a verse-chorus-verse rock song, but getting rid of the ultimately useless changes-for-changes-sake changes and breaks would help a lot.

Reviewed by Eric J Herboth
Eric J. Herboth is the founder, publisher and Managing Editor of LAS magazine. He is a magazine editor, freelance writer, bike mechanic, commercial pilot, graphic designer, International Scout enthusiast and giver of the benefit of the doubt. He currently lives in rural central Germany with his two best friends, dog Awahni and cat Scout.

See other reviews by Eric J Herboth

» MEDIA DOWNLOADS

» GOT STICKERS?

If you'd like to help spread the word about LAS, or simply want to outfit yourself with some adhesive coolness, our 4" circle LAS stickers are sure to hit the spot, and here is how to get them:

--> Send an with $2 in PayPal funds to cover postage. Don't worry, we'll load you up with enough to cover your town. Then just be patient. They will arrive soon.

» WORLDWIDE DOMINATION

LAS has staff and freelance writers spread across North and South America, Europe, and a few in Southeast Asia as well. As such, we have no central mailing adress for unsolicited promotional material. If you are interested in having your project considered for coverage, please contact us before sending any promotional materials - save yourself time and postage!