» LATEST FEATURES

LITERATURE

 » Full Dark, No Stars - Stephen King's new novella questions mankind's ability to trust others.
[02.21.2011 by Bridget Doyle]

MUSIC

 » The Top 30 Albums of 2010 - Fashionably, fabulously late, our favorite music (and believe me, there was a LOT) of 2010, the year that some have called the best year for music ever. And only some of those fools work here. Plenty of usual suspects, lots of ties and a few surprises that I won't spoil, including our unexpected #1.
[12.24.2010 by The LAS Staff]

MUSIC

 » Live: Surfer Blood/The Drums at Lincoln Hall, Chicago, IL - Remember when Weezer used to put together records that you could sing along to and rock out to? That's what Surfer Blood's show was like!
[11.04.2010 by Cory Tendering]

Music Reviews

Screaming Females - Castle Talk
»Screaming Females
Castle Talk
Don Giovanni
Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross - The Social Network [Original Soundtrack]
»Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross
The Social Network [Original Soundtrack]
The Null Corporation
Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest
»Deerhunter
Halcyon Digest
4AD
No Age - Everything in Between
»No Age
Everything in Between
Sub Pop
Robyn - Body Talk Pt. 1/ Body Talk Pt. 2
»Robyn
Body Talk Pt. 1/ Body Talk Pt. 2
Konichiwa
The Walkmen - Lisbon
»The Walkmen
Lisbon
Fat Possum
Seana Carmody
Struts & Shocks
Kimchee Records

Rating: NR/10 ?


October 1, 2004
Struts & Shocks is Seana Carmody's latest release. On the album, Carmody, former vocalist for the experimental noise-pop band the Swirlies and founder of synth pop band Syrup USA, has managed to write a few solid songs, but aside from those most of Struts & Shocks is forgettable. The good songs on the album comprise about 15% of the ten-song release, while the remaining 85% consists of music that would fit better in the "horrible" category.

The obvious choice for the best track on Struts & Shocks is "Tailgate," the album's third track. My discovery of the song was a bit delayed, as on my first few listens I kept on turning the volume on my stereo down so low that by the time I got to "Tailgate" I never actually got to hear it. When I did, I noticed that Seana sounds kind of like a cross between Liz Phair and Jucifer's Amber Valentine, without Ed Livengood's crazy drumming support and Valentine's own bass-heavy guitar.

Pretty much everything else on Struts & Shocks has a lot less spunk, mostly drifty dream-pop that gets boring and repetitive, like the song that follows "Tailgate," "Sidewalk," the song following that, "I Can Troll," and so on, until Carmody's vocals start to sound monotonous.

If you don't mind 15% good listening, you might want to pick this one up. If you're not into music that can get boring and repetitive as hell, I'd steer clear.

Reviewed by Jeanette Samyn
A contributing writer for LAS and a former music director WBAR at Barnard College.

See other reviews by Jeanette Samyn

» MEDIA DOWNLOADS

» GOT STICKERS?

If you'd like to help spread the word about LAS, or simply want to outfit yourself with some adhesive coolness, our 4" circle LAS stickers are sure to hit the spot, and here is how to get them:

--> Send an with $2 in PayPal funds to cover postage. Don't worry, we'll load you up with enough to cover your town. Then just be patient. They will arrive soon.

» WORLDWIDE DOMINATION

LAS has staff and freelance writers spread across North and South America, Europe, and a few in Southeast Asia as well. As such, we have no central mailing adress for unsolicited promotional material. If you are interested in having your project considered for coverage, please contact us before sending any promotional materials - save yourself time and postage!